Studies on Endangered Languages

Daniel Kaufman bahasawan at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 11 15:05:52 UTC 2009

Studies on Endangered Languages (SEL): A new open archive for
linguistic research

Call: We would like to announce a new open archive for unpublished, in-
progress and in-press papers on endangered languages: Studies on
Endangered Languages. SEL will be integrated as a topic page on
Lingbuzz (http://ling.auf.net/lingbuzz/). To get the site going, we
need a minimum critical mass of about 20 studies. If you have work you
would like to make available, please send it (or a link to it) to
Chris Collins (cc116 at nyu.edu) or Daniel Kaufman (bahasawan at gmail.com),
and we will post it when we have the critical mass.

repository of papers on theoretical linguistics. We would like the SEL
archive to serve as a repository of electronic grammars, dictionaries,
and papers (including scans) on endangered languages.

As there is no precise definition of  "endangered language" - even
very large languages can be considered endangered if their speaker
population is rapidly decreasing - we extend the scope of this archive
to include studies on under-researched languages as well.

The papers can be descriptively or theoretically oriented. For the
more descriptive papers, the description and keywords that are posted
on Lingbuzz (see below) should try to convey notable typological
features or points of potential wider interest in the data. One of the
goals of the project is to try to integrate data on endangered and
under-researched languages into work being done in the theoretical
linguistics community.

Papers will not be reviewed. For an overview of Lingbuzz policies, see:

http://ling.auf.net/buzzdocs/

As with Lingbuzz, each paper will appear with the following information:

Title
Name of Author
Date of Submission
Description
(one or two paragraphs)
Place of publication
(if there exists a published version)
Keywords
(one of the key words for all SEL papers will be "Endangered Languages")
Previous version dates
Number of times downloaded