Aka-Bo

Ole Stig Andersen olestigs at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 5 11:00:51 UTC 2010

Besides rejecting the notion 'ancient language' it is also possible to try
to understand what is meant by it. Maybe it refers to the Andaman Islanders'
relative isolation from outside influences for thousands of years, leaving
the seldom case of a group of languages having almost exclusively changed by
internal development. This is precisely the reason why the disappearance of
Andaman languages is a particularly sad loss to human cultural heritage and
to science.

It is interesting, though, that the article in the Hindu
http://beta.thehindu.com/news/national/article100977.ece

is so much more sober and informative than the one in BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8498534.stm

.

Ole Stig Andersen
Denmark's Language Museum