Last speaker of Bo died -- question about how many American Indian languages

Lyle Campbell lyle.campbell at LINGUISTICS.UTAH.EDU
Fri Feb 5 17:39:59 UTC 2010

Here is one answer to the question in a recent
interchange of how many American Indian languages
there are/were:

When Europeans arrived, there were c. 280
languages in the US, 51 families (+isolates). All
the c.150 surviving languages are endangered.
In North America (US & Canada), of 312 known
languages, 123 are extinct (40%). Of 58 families
(+isolates), 29 are extinct (50%); of 26
isolates, 20 are extinct (77%). Many others will
soon follow.
South America: 112 families and isolates, 53
families and 59 isolates.  c.420 languages are
still spoken; there were once 1,491 (according to
Loukotka 1968), 72% extinct.

Since American Indian languages were also
mentioned in global comparison, let me add a bit
more.
North America's 180 language families (+isolates)
[58 North America, 10 Central America, 112 South
America] = 51% of the linguistic diversity of the
world, c.350 families (+isolates). The world's
total number of language isolates: 127; in the
Americas: 83 (65% of the world's isolates).
America's proportion of the world's linguistic
diversity: 51% (180 of the world's total of c.350
families (+isolates)).

More broadly, already 106 of the approximately
350 independent language families (including
isolates) of the world are extinct, 30%.

These figures are very misleading, however, in a
significant sense: of the c. 150 surviving
American Indian languages in the US, only 20 are
being learned actively by children in traditional
transmission, and even for many of these 20,
every year fewer and fewer children are learning
them. Very shortly, this set of numbers and
percentages will change dramatically (unless
revitalization efforts are successful) ... a
tragedy painful beyond contemplation.

Best,
Lyle

--

Dr. Lyle Campbell,
Professor of Linguistics, Director, Center for American Indian Languages