basic word list

Jess jessicaboyntonis at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 25 16:39:12 UTC 2010

 There's been a fair bit of work done on analysing the structural
characteristics of language shift, although it's tricky to report on a
language's structure alone as evidence of language shift. You might find the
following useful:

Anderson, R. W. (1982). Determining the linguistic attributes of language
attrition. In R. D. Lambert & B. F. Freed (Eds.), *The loss of language
skills* (pp. 83-118).  MA: Newbury House.

Dorian, N. (Ed). (1989). Investigating Obsolescence: Studies in Language
Contraction and Death. Cambridge: CUP.

I'd argue that, if you want to determine what sort of lexical loss can be
considered language attrition, you'd best start with investigating what sort
of value different elements of the language (and different semantic
domains) have for the community that speaks it.

Jessica Boynton