Endangered Alphabets--update and appeal
brookes at CHAMPLAIN.EDU
Sat Aug 6 18:54:29 UTC 2011
Dear Friends and Colleagues,
Ever since I began the Endangered Alphabets Project (see http://www.endangeredalphabets.com) two years ago, it was my dream to take it on a World Tour-that is, to display the exhibition in every country it represents, to give prominence to the endangered script and raise discussion about the importance of linguistic and cultural preservation.
As things stand, the countries I'd visit would be Indonesia, Canada, the United States, Vietnam, China, Liberia, Iraq, Israel, Mongolia, Guinea, Cote d'Ivoire, the Philippines, Bangladesh and Morocco. Maybe one or two others.
Needless to say, I can't afford that on my own. Hence this appeal.
If you are at all interested in this endeavor, you could help in any of five or possibly six ways.
* Please pass on this email to others you know with an interest in language preservation.
* If you feel able to make a financial contribution to the general costs, you could go to http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1496420787/the-endangered-alphabets-project/. For every donation you get some kind of Alphabets-related reward as a thank-you.
* If you know of a gallery, college, university, library or other institution in any of those countries that might want to host the Alphabets, please let me know by email.
* If you know of any other endangered scripts in any other countries that you think I should visit, by all means make that suggestion.
* If you know of funding agencies that might support my project, please let me know!
* And if you happen to own an airline, please send me a ticket!
Best wishes, and good luck with your valuable work.
P.S. I'm very sorry if you get this message through another listserv as well.
More information about the Endangered-languages-l