Immigrant languages and indigenous languages

00 00 dietzgm at YAHOO.DE
Wed Jun 1 22:19:07 UTC 2011

Hello all,

in today´s world, there is one other question which has to be considered and makes things even more difficult, namely the languages of immigrants. This often causes scornful remarks by opponents of preserving small indigenous languages. On an Irish forum, I have often seen the statement:"More people speak Polish in Ireland than Irish."

I think that it is clear that indigenous languages ought to have at any rate priority as the indigenous languages have the most longstanding link to its areas. It is indigenous culture which makes a country unique. Another argument for the priority of indigenous languages is that the claims of indigenous people are the most legitime ones.

Nevertheless, the languages of immigrants ought to be considered at school and in society, especially in areas with high percentages of one group. The task languages ought to be included as options in the curriculum for all pupils. In major cities, it is no problem to offer the languages of all present immigrant groups in schools across the city. This will keep the link of immigrants with their country of origin and facilitate the choice of some to return to these countries.

Regional and indigenous languages, however, ought to become a core subject for all apart from areas where indigenous people are nothing more than a tiny minority. It would be
non-sense to make studying Dharug mandatory for all pupils in Sydney, but it would make sense to make Arrernte a mandatory core subject for all pupils in Alice Springs. It would make sense, too, that every pupil, let us say, attending school in Sardinia has to study Sardinian. I think countries and administrations all over the world ought to follow the Irish example without copying the mistakes in the way of teaching in some Irish schools.

With regard to immigrant languages, the policies of present Australia are very useful. Australia has today the aim that every child ought to have the choice to keep or gain skills in their heritage language. For this sake, they have schools of the task communites and language learning centers which offer programs for heritage languages. Other countries could follow the Australian example. Furthermore, this is a useful potential in international trade.

Shortly, I would merge this into the sentence: Make indigenous languages mandatory for all and immigrant languages an option for all at school.

Alex