Antw: Don't Apologise

Franz.Dotter at UNI-KLU.AC.AT Franz.Dotter at UNI-KLU.AC.AT
Fri May 6 12:36:48 UTC 2011

Dear Dave,

Naturally, such a finer differentiation serves well (at least in English or German; as a typologist I'm not sure that it works for all languages - and maybe cultures).

It describes straightforward also what discriminated groups would like to have, I think. But interpreting the situation from the side of the discriminated/victims, I suppose they will not weigh the words, they will look for honesty in the saying.

The discussion shows nicely what we should avoid: reductive dualistic standpoints like "apologize" vs. "don't apologize".

Thanks for having enriched our Friday!

Franz

>>> Dave Sayers <dave.sayers at CANTAB.NET> 5/6/2011 1:08 >>>
I think that one of the contrasts aimed for in the linked lecture, although not particularly well advanced in it, was between apology on the one hand, and constructive acknowledgement of past wrongs on the other hand. So, the former would look like "We're sorry for what we did" (the criticism being that the second we simply no longer exists), while the latter would look more like "We acknowledge what our ancestors did, and we (now) will work to right those wrongs in any way we can". The latter can include a kind of apology, in the same way that you might apologise for someone associated with you and who has caused some offence (apology by proxy); but it also draws a clearer line around the meaning of 'apology' in the purest sense.

Franz (and others) - do you think this latter form of constructive acknowledgement could be appreciated by discriminated groups, like an apology could be?

Apologies if this is a bit much for a Friday afternoon!

Dave

--
Dr. Dave Sayers
Honorary Research Fellow