Unwritten non-endangered languages

Thu Apr 12 22:54:18 UTC 2012

The English Wiktionary seeks to list all words in all languages with English definitions, but the requirement for listing is three citations, a barrier impossible for many endangered languages. I have therefore proposed a vote on Wiktionary to loosen the citation requirement for endangered languages (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Votes/2012-04/Languages_with_limited_documentation).*

Part of the proposal is to include languages not listed in the UNESCO Language Atlas (http://www.unesco.org/culture/languages-atlas/) as endangered but that still lack a strong oral history. The only language I have come up with so far is Tok Pisin. Can anyone provide other languages that would qualify for this? I would like to add them to the proposal (or rewrite to include them). Please respond off-list.

* My previous proposal failed, but I have taken many of the objections into consideration and think this has a good chance of passing. The actual vote should start in about a week; the voting requirement is basically a Wiktionary account with at least 50 edits at least one week in advance of the vote (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Votes/2010-04/Voting_policy).

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA