How many hours of recorded speech? - more context

Lindsay Marean lmarean at BENSAY.ORG
Tue Aug 28 14:31:06 UTC 2012

I'm grateful for the many responses I'm receiving to my questions, which
I've posted to three different listservs that deal with endangered
language documentation and revitalization.  In a few days I'll compile
the responses from all three lists (ILAT, RNLD, and
ENDANGERED-LANGUAGES) and make them available to others who may be
interested in reading them.

Meanwhile, although I think the question of "what is sufficient?" is
broadly relevant to language documentation, I'd like to provide a little
more information about my own situation.

I have an MA in linguistics, a few years of fieldwork experience, and
some additional training in language documentation.  I'm working on my
own heritage language, a North American indigenous language that I've
been studying for 13 years.  Our few remaining fluent speakers are in
high demand as teachers and consultants for summer language camps,
master-apprentice programs, community and distance language classes, and
research and documentation projects.  Recently we have decided to make
documentation of natural speech one of our priorities.  However, "as
much as you possibly can for as long as you possibly can" seems too
naive an approach for us to take, because our documentation time comes
at the expense of other projects that are also important.  We also don't
want to leave our language underdocumented by neglecting a particular
area of language use or by simply not recording enough.

If you write a descriptive grammar or compile a dictionary, there's a
point where you can say that you are "finished enough" to publish (of
course there will be aspects of the grammar the you didn't touch on or
fully account for, and your dictionary will be missing lots of words)
and move on to a new project.  We won't stop recording our elders once
our documentation project is over, but we'd like an idea of when we can
consider our collection "big enough" to shift our focus to other priorities.

Again, thank you for your many and carefully considered responses to my
questions!

Lindsay