PhD study at SOAS

Peter Austin pa2 at SOAS.AC.UK
Mon Jan 23 16:36:05 UTC 2012

*** apologies for cross-postings ***

The Department of Linguistics at SOAS is pleased to announce the availability of several (partial or full) scholarships for students wishing to undertake PhD research with us.

SOAS Linguistics Department is the oldest linguistics department in the UK, founded in 1932. We have a strong profile in theoretical, descriptive, comparative and applied linguistics (including language pedagogy, sociolinguistics, and translation) and world-leading expertise in the study of the languages of Africa and Asia. We are home to the Hans Rausing Endangered Languages Project and offer a very strong research environment in language documentation of endangered languages.

For more information about the department and our research, please visit http://www.soas.ac.uk/linguistics/.

The following funding opportunities are available for students embarking on their PhD in 2012/13. The deadline for applications is 31 January 2012.

AHRC Studentships (subject to confirmation by the AHRC)
Linguistics (1 Studentship) and Middle Eastern and African Languages and Cultures (1 Studentship)
http://www.soas.ac.uk/registry/scholarships/ahrc-block-grant-partnership-studentships-bgp.html

SOAS Research Scholarships (UK/EU fees/stipend) (2 in Languages & Cultures)
http://www.soas.ac.uk/registry/scholarships/soas-research-student-fellowship.html

SOAS Doctoral Scholarships (UK/EU fees only, f/t or p/t) (2 in Linguistics)
http://www.soas.ac.uk/registry/scholarships/soas-doctoral-scholarships-2012-faculty-of-languages-cultures-only.html

Wolfson Scholarship (UK residents only, £25,000 p.a.) (1 in Language)
http://www.soas.ac.uk/registry/scholarships/wolfson-postgraduate-scholarships-in-the-humanities.html

For further information about PhD study in Linguistics at SOAS, please contact our Research Tutor, Prof. Peter Austin at pa2 at soas.ac.uk, or the Head of Department, Dr Lutz Marten at lm5 at soas.ac.uk any time.

For other funding opportunities at SOAS, see http://www.soas.ac.uk/registry/scholarships/.