Happy Mikael Agricola's Day!

Eduardo Ribeiro kariri at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 13 07:40:15 UTC 2013

Hi, Dave,

Padre José de Anchieta, who wrote the first grammar of a Brazilian language
(his 'Arte' of Tupinambá or Old Tupí, published in 1595), received similar
homages on both sides of the Atlantic.  Coins in his homage were coined
both in Portugal and Brazil (http://www.etnolinguistica.org/anchieta); June
9th, the day of his death, is commemorated as "Anchieta Day" in Brazil
(neither an official or widely popular holiday, though).

I wouldn't be surprised if similar homages have been paid to other colonial
missionary linguists (mostly Jesuits, as Anchieta) in countries such as
Paraguay, Mexico, Peru, etc.

Unlike Agricola's work, Anchieta's didn't result in widespread literacy
among the native speakers.  The language, which played an important role in
the initial colonization of Brazil, would gradually die out (although one
of its descendents, Nheengatú, survives to this day:
http://www.etnolinguistica.org/lingua:nheengatu).

Tudo de bom,

Eduardo

--