Endangered Languages in Museum

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at WEB.DE
Sat Aug 31 08:57:48 UTC 2013

But, an alternative way of presentation could be the plant/garden
metaphor. It is also used commercially, e.g., by busuu.com, and seems to
be intuitively understandable:

- a flourishing tree with words at its leaves and a few books beneath for
something obviously vivid (for children in Germany, a joint presentation
of German and, say, Turkish could be a good idea, and as an audio
component, one may add a record of playing kids),

- a tree stump along with stones, ruins and bones for something long gone
and forgotten (you could take Latin, but Celtic might make more sense, in
large parts of Germany, it had been the major language before Roman
conquest and Germanic immigration, it is poorly documented, and there
seems to be some interest in reconstructed "Gaulish" as part of the
general pop culture. On the Continental Celtic list, the band Eluveitie
was discussed a while ago, and their song Brictom [see
http://eluveitie.ch/discography] whose text originates from authentic
epigraphic record seems to be appropriate for children.)

- in between a drought-strucken tree with words at its leaves, plus a pile
of words fallen down already, maybe presented together with some
culture-specific items, pictures and audio snippets. So, basically, the
tree replaces the coffin.

Of course, three installations require more space than one coffin (I guess
the drought-strucken tree in isolation won't work), but they (or, at
least, the other two) could be realized symbolically in small show cases,
depending on your budget and space constraints.

All the best,
Christian

NB: I guess Native American languages and cultures such as Margaret's
Ojibwe data might work particularly well in Germany. If you are looking
for an individual language that your audience will emphasize with
immediately, you might be interested to know that the apparent mother
tongue of Karl May's Winnetou, Mescalero-Chiricahua Apache is critically
endangered
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mescalero-Chiricahua_Apache_language].

--
Christian Chiarcos