Study on contrastive outcomes?

Mike Cahill mike_cahill at SIL.ORG
Wed Jan 9 15:26:31 UTC 2013

Thanks, Tony, and others who have responded personally. (Tony, you don't happen to have a reference for Mitchell's work, do you?)

It seems that this is a topic of interest, but actual published studies are fairly few and not as a general rule of as much depth as could be desired. One relevant work (thanks, Heidi Orcutt-Gachiri) is Mark Sicoli's chapter in Ethnographic Contributions to the Study of Endangered Languages, at
http://www.academia.edu/1561832/Sicoli-2011-Agency_and_Ideology_in_Language_Shift_and_Language_Maintenance .

Again, thanks to all,

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Woodbury [mailto:woodbury at austin.utexas.edu]
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2013 3:34 PM
To: Mike Cahill
Cc: ENDANGERED-LANGUAGES-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Study on contrastive outcomes?

Roy Mitchell, now in Alaska, did a study of two Yup'ik villages very close-by on the Kuskokwim River, one of which had undergone very rapid language shift toward English and toward a cash economy, and the the other of which had maintained daily learning and use of Yup'ik and of a subsistence life style.

Tony

--
Tony Woodbury
¡NEW EMAIL!: woodbury at austin.utexas.edu (Replaces acw at mail.utexas.edu) Professor Department of Linguistics University of Texas