Who is indigenous?

Johanna Laakso johanna.laakso at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Mon Jan 21 07:25:37 UTC 2013

Dear Frank & All,

in our case, one central issue was the position of the Sámi as "the only indigenous people of the EU", in contrast to other old minorities of Europe. As it seems, the "definitions" of indigenitude (as I wrote, the ILO convention actually does not provide a definition in the strict sense of the word) is largely motivated by the colonisation of non-European areas by Europeans, and its consequences. Within Europe, the situation is more complicated, as there often are many old ethnic and linguistic groups all inhabiting the same regions "from times immemorial", and whether the "timeline in a specific geographical location extends back further than any other ethnic or linguistic group in that location" cannot always be unanimously determined.

Best
Johanna
--
Univ.Prof. Dr. Johanna Laakso
Universität Wien, Institut für Europäische und Vergleichende Sprach- und Literaturwissenschaft (EVSL)