Endangered Languages in Museum

Bryan James Gordon linguista at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 1 19:39:24 UTC 2013

Considering that so many people are upset by the negativity of coffin
images and death metaphors, this is a very negative discussion. I'm not
surprised, but I am disappointed. We are arguing about how outsider
"experts" should represent a massive human tragedy. Let's not forget that.
And let's also not forget that there are plenty of insider community
members, not just "purists", who feel strongly that the death metaphor is
the correct one. Or that, for certain tragedies, the purpose of an exhibit
is not to be aesthetically pleasing or comforting.

I prefer negative metaphors in the case of language
erosion/endangerment/shift/whatever you want to call it. I have seen
linguistic anthropology "shift" towards positive messaging recently, and I
think it does an injustice to the nature of the phenomenon we are
describing and its human toll. I have heard some interesting argument in
favour of a "theft" metaphor, which focusses our attention on the fact that
it's not the change or decay of knowledge systems and texts that is the
primary problem, but the fact that it is happening against the community's
will and best interests. I have also recently been looking into the use of
the medical/psychological "trauma" metaphor, which recognises the massive
negativity of the phenomenon, but also orients itself towards intervention
and recovery, and can be used to describe/explain why communities who don't
want to lose their languages still engage in behaviours that trend towards
language loss.

I have nothing further and nothing definitive to say about the appropriate
metaphor for the public eye, any more than I have to say about whether the
people I work with are "American Indian" or "Native American". It's not my
decision, and there are problems (and strengths) with all the options. I
agree with Heiko that what is missing is support and encouragement for
those of us who are working to raise awareness in the public eye. Lena's
message is flawed. So what? So is mine. So is yours. Let's engage in a
conversation about how to better our messages and metaphors without shaming
each other. And let's not insinuate that negativity per se is a problem
when the phenomenon is negative.

Bryan James Gordon

2013/8/31 Brookes, Tim <brookes at champlain.edu>

> Dear Colleagues,
> This is a very interesting discussion. To see a slightly different
> approach to creating a visual embodiment of language erosion, you may want
> to check out my work at http://www.endangeredalphabets.com. I'm always
> open to comments and suggestions.
> Thanks!
> Tim Brookes
>

> On 8/31/13 5:18 AM, "Anne Dykstra" <dykstraanne at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> >Hi there,
> >
> >There is a monument to dead languages at Vilnius University. Maybe you
> >could use that for your museum?
> >
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/wingedthing/6124678274/
> >
> >Best,
> >Anne
> >
> >Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPad
> >
> >Op 31 aug. 2013 om 10:36 heeft "King, Dr Alexander D."
> ><a.king at ABDN.AC.UK> het volgende geschreven:
> >
> >> I find the coffin metaphor repulsive and offensive. I know that many of
> >>my Koryak friends share that opinion because I have been talking to them
> >>a lot about "language death" metaphors  versus shift and other terms. I
> >>know other Koryaks, though, would agree that the language is "dying",
> >>but those people tend to be purists, whose attitude does nothing to help
> >>revitalization efforts.
> >>
> >> Now is the time for those people in control of the terms of discourse,
> >>such as this exhibition curator, to work harder to come up with more
> >>imaginative metaphors to create a wider and more sophisticated public
> >>discussion about language shift, revitalization and indigenous peoples.
> >>
> >> Just getting the word out to ignorant elites in western Europe is not
> >>food enough. It is bad politics.
> >>
> >> Sincerely,
> >> Alex King
> >> (just back from Kamchatka, Russia)
> >>

> >> Sent from my iPhone

Bryan James Gordon, MA
Joint PhD Program in Linguistics and Anthropology
University of Arizona