positive visions

Signe Rix Berthelin signerixberthelin at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 2 16:31:27 UTC 2013

Good luck with your exhibition, Lena! I admire your effort and your hard
work for making the issues of language endangerment known outside academia. We should all do what we can - when we have the chance - to
make these issues known.

It is interesting to follow the debate – especially the constructive
suggestions and the soberly formulated opinions.  Needless to say: Such contributions are so much more illuminating and interesting.

As we have seen, it is perfectly possible to disagree in a sober and
constructive tone. Let’s keep going on that track, and give each other
constructive feedback so that we can all grow and become even better at what we
are doing!

-Signe
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:07:17 +0200
From: lena.terhart at GMX.DE
Subject: Re: positive visions
To: ENDANGERED-LANGUAGES-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG

In Germany, every now and then budget cuts in the educational sector are announced. In the protests against it, there frequently appear coffins and words from the death and funeral semantic fields in connection with "education" or specific school subjects like maths, biology etc. Would anybody seriously think that these people believe that education is dead? No! They use a metaphor to express their fear that the quality of education might diminish with the budget cut. Analogically, I would interpret a coffin to represent the concern that language diversity - symbolized by words in many different languages - is diminishing.Some of you find the metaphor offensive, apparently because they do not interpret the different words as a symbol of language diversity but to represent the individual languages that are consequently classified as dying or dead. Yes, I agree that given this interpretation the coffin is a terrible metaphor. Would those of you prefer the tree metaphor proposed by Christian Chiarcos? I also thought about another symbol as Dorothea Hoffmann pointed out to me the term "sleeping languages" used by Ghilad Zuckermann. Building on the sleeping metaphor, words of different endangered languages could be arranged in a bed - maybe together with an alarm clock to symbolize the possibility of waking up. However, the bed has the same disadvantage as the coffin that the words arranged on it may be misinterpreted to stand for the individual languages they come from and that consequently all those languages are classified "sleeping languages".
If I got it right, others of you think that language endangerment is not a topic to be displayed at a museum at all, because it is too negative, and it should be replaced by revitalization or language diversity. My opinion is that language revitalization is nothing that is easily understood, unless you have understood that there are languages that cease to be transmitted to the next generations. An exhibit on language diversity would certainly convey a more positive image, but could be as well realized without any small or endangered language. And even if those languages are included, the concern over diminishing diversity could easily be overlooked.
Lena Terhart
PS: Thanks to all of you who have send me word lists and encouraging e-mails!

Am 01.09.2013 um 19:04 schrieb Serena d'Agostino:I agree.
A negative vision of the issue and the use of negative reinforcement are not the best options.
I have already commented to Terralingua that their logo - an half dry branch coming out of a reclined head - looked too mortuary.

People interested in EL should choose to have a positive vision of the vitality and richnes of languages:
it is our involvement that will make the difference.
 Regards  Serena d'Agostino

Le 31/08/13, Doug Whalen  <whalen at HASKINS.YALE.EDU> a écrit :This is a terrible idea.  It tries to make a quick impression, but what will that impression be?  Small languages = death.  Do we like death? No.  Therefore, we don't like small languages.

Imagine that you had an exhibit on species diversity and at the end, you got to toss a baby panda into a coffin.  Strong metaphor?  Yes.  Appealing?  I hope not.

Please do us a favor and leave the coffin out of your exhibit.

Doug Whalen DhW

Lena Terhart <lena.terhart at GMX.DE> wrote ..