Endangered Languages in Museum

Jeremy moss Bradley jeremy.moss.bradley at UNIVIE.AC.AT
Tue Sep 3 07:39:17 UTC 2013

I am somewhat late to the party, but one concrete thought I had regarding
the exhibit: does it have to be a metaphor? If I wanted to drive in the
point that language extinction is not just sad for us linguists, I think I
would use terminal speakers - possibly even one concrete terminal
speakers. (Others will have better and more complete stories than I do.) I
would think one could get children to relate to a person that speaks a
language, but has nobody with whom to speak it. Again, the "species"
analogy works here: think "The Last of its Kind". This is of course a
simplified view of language extinction (last speaker is a competent
speaker for whom said language is maybe even dominant, no passive
speakers), but I think a good narrative could br found here.

Best,
Jeremy