museum exhibit: endangered languages

Elaine Gold langmuse at CHASS.UTORONTO.CA
Tue Sep 3 18:53:58 UTC 2013

I've been following this discussion with some interest because two years ago
a group of linguists founded 'The Canadian Language Museum' with a goal of
sharing the richness of the languages of Canada with the general public. So
far we have created two travelling exhibits (one on Canadian English, one on
the Inuit language) and are preparing exhibits on Canadian French and Cree.
We continue to grapple with the question of how best to present information
about languages that the viewers don't speak in a way that will keep their
interest. So I will throw in my two cents!

Regardless of the central image you use (coffin/phoenix/tree) I am concerned
about having the exhibit made up of a large variety of unrelated words in a
large number of languages. I worry that the glut of information will be
overwhelming for the viewer if it is not organized in some way. I have found
that visitors to exhibits about language like numbers,  maps,  writing
systems and a clear message.  With respect to numbers,  you might already be
planning to give the number of languages (approximately) currently spoken
and how quickly they are disappearing. Maps showing where these languages
are spoken would definitely be a bonus! Children could try their hands at
different writing systems. And for a clear message -  you might want to
consider having the same concept represented in different languages and
connecting it to German ­ eg. In German we say 'Tisch' but here are 50
different words for Tisch'.

Another question that you might want to answer is ­ why should the viewer
care that these languages are disappearing? Can't people express themselves
as well in German or English or Mandarin? Can the exhibit communicate a
reason to care? I personally prefer a theme that will celebrate the
diversity of languages rather than focus on death.

Since the exhibit is opening on September 16, there really isn't much time
for changing the exhibit content. I do think it's wonderful that the
Children's Museum is creating this exhibit about language and is including
information about endangered languages.

Elaine Gold, University of Toronto
Chair, Canadian Language Museum