museum exhibit: endangered languages

Christian Chiarcos christian.chiarcos at WEB.DE
Wed Sep 4 12:45:31 UTC 2013

Another idea that came to my mind:

You could describe an example with Cornish. The language flourished before
the English conquest, then diminished slowly, until, in the late 18th c.,
it had literally withdrawn into a Mousehole, the place where the last
speaker died
(http://www.cornwalls.co.uk/history/people/dolly_pentreath.htm). Few
litrary traces of Late Cornish, the language of that time, are preserved
(more of Middle Cornish), but recently, it has been revived (mostly on the
basis of related languages such as Breton and Welsh, so, its authenticity
is somewhat debateable, and a long debate on how to reconstruct Cornish
has been raging for half a century, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_revival).

So, this language went through the full cycle. For many languages,
revitalization will be difficult as they are not even substantially
documented which is why political awareness and support are so important.

Best,
Christian

--
Christian Chiarcos