Languages in Museum - new concept and deadline!

Dr. MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Fri Sep 6 13:18:09 UTC 2013

This is good.  And appropriate.  As I commented, all metaphors carry their
own baggage and this comes as close as possible in a display to being the
languages themselves.  Given that, in a separate email I will send you words
from two Jaqi languages.  May it go well for you and for those who come to
the exhibit.

MJ

On 9/5/13 7:17 AM, "Lena Terhart" <lena.terhart at GMX.DE> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> after considering space, time, and budget constraints, ethical aspects and the
> implementation of the exhibit on endangered languages into the general
> conception of the exhibition's topic and its realization together with the
> curators, we decided:
>
> - that the exhibit will take up the idea that was proposed by Alice Taff: two
> big people holding a tiny box with the world's major languages two small
> people holding a big box with the world's small and endangered languages. In
> addition a text box will provide some very basic (intellligible also for
> children) background information about diminishing linguistic variety.
>
> - the boxes that the people hold will be filled with words from the major
> languages and from the small languages respectively
>
> - therefore it is necessary that there is a connection between the words, not
> just random words from different languages
>
> - so here is an updated request:
>
> If you want to contribute to the exhibit, could you please send me
> (lena.terhart at gmx.de):
> - words for these three concepts: 1. child, 2. water, 3. sun. In case the
> language doesn't have a word that exactly fits the concepts, please send
> related words (like boy and girl, baby, rain, river, heat etc.)
> - very basic information about the language: the name of the language, the
> location where it is spoken and number of speakers if known
> - in case you have sound files of the words, it would be great, if you sent
> them, too
>
> We didn't get to a conclusion regarding the implementation of sound files,
> because it highly depends on what you can send us. It is decided that there
> will be sound to represent endangered languages, but it may come from only one
> or two languages (in that case a larger sound file) or from many different
> languages (shorter sound files).
>
> Please note that there is also a new deadline, which is even closer: The
> coming Monday, 9.9.2013.
>
> I'm very sorry for it being that close. Nevertheless, I hope that we can
> collect examples from as many languages as possible.
>
> Best,
> Lena Terhart

Dr. MJ Hardman
Professor Emeritus
Linguistics, Anthropology and Latin American Studies
University of Florida
Doctora Honoris Causa UNMSM, Lima, Perú
website:  http://clas.ufl.edu/users/hardman/