Developing orthographies book

Mike Cahill mike_cahill at SIL.ORG
Fri Feb 28 16:01:26 UTC 2014

HI all,

At the risk of shameless promotion, I call your attention to a new book
just out: "Developing Orthographies for Unwritten Languages." I do believe
it may be quite helpful to some of you on this list.

*Developing Orthographies for Unwritten Languages*

Table of Contents

1. Introduction - Keren Rice and Michael Cahill

2. Non-Linguistic Factors in Orthographies - Michael Cahill

3. Orthography and Phonological Depth - Keith Snider

4. Orthography and Tone: A Tone-System Typology with Implications for
Orthography Development - Constance Kutsch Lojenga

5. Basic Principles for Establishing Word Boundaries - Constance Kutsch
Lojenga

6. Standardization: What's the Hurry? - Elke Karan

7. Orthography Wars - Leanne Hinton

8. Breaking Rules for Orthography Development - Pamela Munro

9. A Yanesha' Alphabet for the Electronic Age - Mary Ruth Wise

10. Kurtöp Orthography Development in Bhutan - Gwendolyn Hyslop

11. Case Studies of Orthography Decision Making in Mainland Southeast Asia
- Larin Adams

It's available both on Amazon and on the SIL.ORG web site. Enjoy!

Mike Cahill

http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Orthographies-Unwritten-Languages-Michael/dp/1556713479/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1393602483&sr=1-1&keywords=developing+orthographies+for+unwritten+languages

http://www.sil.org/resources/publications/entry/56046