[Endangered-languages-l] Prehistory of language revitalization?

Dr. MJ Hardman hardman at ufl.edu
Wed Nov 19 12:20:58 UTC 2014

The history of the Jaqi attempts to get bilingual education date from way
back, without the official support necessary — with, actually, official
prohibition.  I was surprised to find so many attempts when I first went to
Bolivia; in Puno they actually took up arms in an attempt to get schools;
Tupe has maintained the language in spite all efforts to the contrary — and
there was certainly community interest when I came on the scene.

I have written about this over the six decades I have been working, but I
can’t remember, at this moment, where I have done so.

One great curiosity is the word <qillqa>  read, write, book — with no
written language?  And the whole litany of petroglyphs and weaving-writing —
so much yet to know.  MJ

On 11/18/14, 6:11 AM, "Ylikoski Jussi" <jussi.ylikoski at uit.no> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>

> According to the received view, the history of modern language revitalization
> seems to begin from the Hebrew and Gaelic revivals in the 19th century. The
> motives and impact factors of people such as Pāṇini, Gutenberg and Herder
> aside, and disregarding the rise of European nation states and their national
> languages, I would be interested to know whether there have been less known –
> and presumably less successful – early ("pre-Hebraic" and "pre-Gaelic")
> collective efforts that could be characterized as language revitalization in a
> sense of consciously and systematically trying to halt or reverse the decline
> of a language or to revive an extinct one. Anywhere in the world?
>

> Needless to say, I would be grateful for any references to published work on
> this issue.
>

> Best regards,
>

> Jussi
>

> http://ansatte.uit.no/jussi.ylikoski/

Dr. MJ Hardman
Professor Emeritus
Linguistics, Anthropology and Latin American Studies
University of Florida
Doctora Honoris Causa UNMSM, Lima, Perú
website:  http://clas.ufl.edu/users/hardman/