[Endangered-languages-l] Workshop: Documentation and Analysis of Multimodal Data (DAMD 2014)

Vera Ferreira vferreira at cidles.eu
Thu Jan 8 20:25:41 UTC 2015

Please pass on to interested parties.**

*Workshop “Documentation and Analysis of Multimodal Data” (DAMD 2015)***

CIDLeS invites students and researchers in linguistics and related
fields to participate in the workshop on “Documentation and Analysis of
Multimodal Data”. The workshop will take place from Friday, April 24 to
Saturday, April 25 2015 in Alcanena (Portugal).

Workshop leader: Dr Mandana Seyfeddinipur, Endangered Languages
Documentation Programme, SOAS

Deadline for registration: *March 31, 2015*

*Date and venue***

April 24 – 25, 2015 | Hotel Eurosol, Alcanena (Portugal)

Website: http://www.cidles.eu/events/workshop/

*About the Workshop*

Language use is fundamentally multimodal. When we speak point to places,
we nod to signal our understanding and we outline our thought with our
hands. Moreover, we coordinate our actions with our conversational
partners. The way we talk, the words we use, the information we include
depends on the common ground we share with our interlocutors and
different social and contextual dimensions. This complexity of language
use is best captured with video. Language documentation projects as well
as any linguistic research project investigating dimensions of
conversational language use should record video. However, video training
is often limited to the technicalities of how to use a video camera and
microphones but does not provide a theoretical framework for the
features of language use. What is missing is an understanding of the
social, linguistic and cognitive foundation of language use so that it
becomes clear what needs to be captured how.

In this workshop we will address these topics and participants will
learn about the theoretical foundation of language use as a joint
activity. Focusing on manual gesture, participants will learn how
gesture data play an important role in understanding the fundamentally
multimodal nature of language use. In the second part we will provide
detailed guidelines of how to video record and this will be trained with
hands on practice. Participants will collect natural language use data
of different types and learn how to use video equipment. In the third
part of the workshop the recordings will be reviewed and discussed and
guidelines for improvements will be given. In a fourth part participants
will be introduced to how to use ELAN for gesture annotation and analysis.

The number of participants is limited to 30.

*Fee & Registration*

The workshop costs 260 Euro. The fee includes accommodation in shared
rooms (2 people) at Hotel Eurosol (Alcanena, Portugal) from April 23 to
April 26, breakfast, lunches and coffee breaks during the workshop and
workshop materials. Individual rooms are also available by payment of an
extra charge (45€).

The deadline for registration and fee payment is *March 31*!

Registration: http://www.cidles.eu/events/workshop/registration/

For more information, please contactinfo at cidles.eu <mailto:info at cidles.eu>

--
Vera Ferreira
Centro Interdisciplinar de Documentação Linguística e Social / Interdisciplinary Centre for Social and Language Documentation

Tel.: +351249849123
Email: vferreira at cidles.eu
Web: http://www.cidles.eu