Random location

Tony Zuccolotto anthony.zuccolotto at pstnet.com
Tue Nov 19 14:14:53 UTC 2002

Richard,

It sounds like you should take a close look at the NestingRT sample
experiment and read up on Nesting in the User's Guide.   Nesting allows
you to sample from multiple lists when a row of a list is selected, i.e.
sample trial conditions randomly and then likewise randomly sample from
stimulus lists in each condition.  The NestingRT example uses lists of
words and nonwords, but demonstrates the mechanism of nesting well.  The
use of nesting for stimulus sampling is one of the more unique and
powerful features of E-Prime and once you understand how it works you
can use it to setup complex sampling constraints and algorithms
typically without going to script.

If you need to sample multiple times within a trial from the same list
then you use the "colon syntax" on the attribute reference (which is
also demonstrated in the NestingRT example).

Take a look at the example and then perhaps repost with a description of
what you tried.

Thanks,
Tony
*** DISCLAIMER: VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT NECESSARILY
REFLECT THOSE OF MY EMPLOYER ***
Anthony P. Zuccolotto
Vice President of Operations
Psychology Software Tools, Inc.