losing ERP triggers in E-Prime

Tony Zuccolotto anthony.zuccolotto at pstnet.com
Thu Nov 13 13:52:14 UTC 2003

Richard,

Depending on how your trial presentation sequence is designed this could
be a side effect of using PreRelease, e.g. if the triggers you are
missing are perhaps related to responses then it could be a situation
similar to the following...

Say you have a display & response duration of 2000ms with a PreRelease
of 200ms on the stimulus presentation object.   At time 1800 the object
collecting the response actually stops executing its .Run method
(2000-200 = 1800), and moves on to the next object (or Inline script)
that follows.   If your trigger is sent from an Inline directly after
the object, and that script is designed to only send a trigger when
there is a response accepted then you have a 10% chance of a trigger
being ignored/skipped (e.g. 200/2000 = 10%).  Specifically you are at
risk of skipping a response (which is yet to be made) if the subject
response comes in anywhere between time 1800 and 2000 (i.e. after your
script to send the trigger has already executed).

If you think something like this is happening you should either: not use
PreRelease on this object (which may cause other issues to deal with
depending on the nature of your experiment), or examine the
<object>.InputMasks(1).IsPending property to assure that the response
input has completed before examining other properties and sending your
trigger.

Please reply back to the list when you get this issue resolved, i.e.
triggering via WritePort has been very reliable so if this doesn't turn
out to be an experiment specific (or possibly hardware specific) problem
PST would like to know about it and/or try to replicate it to get the
specific problem identified and resolved.

Thanks,
Tony

*** DISCLAIMER: ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT NECESSARILY
REFLECT THOSE OF PSYCHOLOGY SOFTWARE TOOLS ***
Anthony P. Zuccolotto
Vice President
Psychology Software Tools, Inc.
2050 Ardmore Boulevard