Reading in stimuli from a file and using Labels

Amy Eschman amy.eschman at pstnet.com
Tue Jul 6 19:12:01 UTC 2004

Harvey,

You can accomplish this with labels, but the List object is already set
up to permit counterbalancing by subject (On the Selection tab in the
List object properties pages).  Counterbalance selects one sample from
the options based on the Order By value.

1.  Create each version of your word lists as a separate List object in
Unreference E-Objects.  Each word list should contain the same "Word"
attribute to hold the individual words.
2.  Create a List in Unreferenced E-Objects for each version of the
experiment (i.e., each list of words).
3.  Create a block level List that is set to counterbalance by subject
4.  On the block level List, create an attribute (e.g., ListName) to
hold the names of the List objects in Unreferenced (your word lists).
5.  On the TrialList, pass the name of the attribute holding the names
of the Lists in unreferenced (i.e., ListName) in for the Nested column
value.
6.  Set the block level List to counterbalance by Subject number.

This will result in a single row being selected from the BlockList based
on the subject number, will assign the name of a specific wordlist to
ListName, and that List will be used to supply the words to the trials.

I hope this helps you get started.  If you run into trouble, I would
suggest submitting a request to web support.

Amy
*** DISCLAIMER: ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT NECESSARILY
REFLECT THOSE OF PSYCHOLOGY SOFTWARE TOOLS ***