generating a visual masker

Nathan Maxfield ndmaxfield at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 29 12:58:26 UTC 2004

Hi.  I'm writing to ask whether anybody knows of a way to generate visual
noise using E-Prime?  I'm designing a word-by-word reading task.  In one
condition, I'd like the words to be unobscured (legible, easy to read).  In
another condition, I'd like to mask the words with something like
2-dimensional "television snow" (making the words more difficult to read).
Adobe Photoshop has a Gaussian noise function that I've used successfully
(this requires manually generating new noise maskers for every participant).
  But I'm wondering whether E-Prime can do something like generate a new
visual masker for every trial, perhaps using a draw command with a Slide
object???

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

Best,
Nathan Maxfield
City University of New York, Graduate Center
Doctoral Program in Speech & Hearing Sciences