Disabling the Windows menu key? / response to unknown error code

Eddie Dubourg eddie at ling.ed.ac.uk
Mon Mar 29 15:21:00 UTC 2004

There's a registry patch you can make on a computer to prevent the
winkey from being recognised (I use it to prevent users locking the
machines and wandering off):-

I've found that for some reason if you cut the text into a .reg file and
double click on it, regedit often doesn't notice the bin: part of the
file, and it doesn't enter it correctly, so that the only way to do it
is to run regedit, navigate to the required key, and from the edit menu
New -> binary value, call it scancode map, and then manually enter the
data [not the bit marked bin:] (I had to do this on 28 machines, so if
anyone knows of a way of automating it, please don't tell me).

As always, the usual disclaimers about messing with the registry apply,
including the one that says if your PC begins a new career as a
doorstop, don't blame me.

Hope this helps

Eddie Dubourg
Computing/Technical Support Officer
Theoretical and Applied Linguistics
University of Edinburgh.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
"Scancode
Map"=bin:00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,03,00,00,00,00,00,5b,e0,00,00,5c,e0,\
  00,00,00,00