parallel port input

Leh Woon Mok mokx0002 at umn.edu
Tue Oct 12 19:35:49 UTC 2004

Brandon,

Thanks much for the clarification.

After trying out more systematically across computers, I have discovered
that the parallel port device on EPrime seems to work properly (i.e., being
able to read from all 5 input pins) only when the computer supports the
newer SPP mode but not when the computer is only to support the older AT
mode.

Under the AT mode, only 2 pins can be read and when the device is connected
through the parallel port key, three pins can be read but the fourth pin
consistently cannot be read.

May I verify my findings with you that it is an issue of whether it's the
AT or the SPP mode?

In addition, there seems to be an interaction with DELL computers.  Across
DELL computers that support either the AT or SPP mode, the parallel port
device consistently does not work well with EPrime, i.e., only 2 pins can
be read.  Under the SPP mode with other computer brands, the parallel port
device consistently works fine.

Hope to hear from you again.

Thanks,
Leh Woon