A better solution?

Paul R. Jackson paulj at psy.uq.edu.au
Mon Sep 6 22:12:04 UTC 2004

Rachel,

I don't think that E-Prime could do this out of the box using the standard
methods. These types of things are best done using inline scripts to
generate trials. BUT unfortunately this requires some level of programming
skills.

The script could do something like:
-load 48 non target words from a text file
-randomise the order of the 48 words
-load 2 target words from another file
-insert target word 1 randomly into the word array in a position in range of
6-25 (i.e. in trial 2,3,4, or 5)
-insert target word 2 randomly into the word array in a position in range of
26-45 (i.e. in trial 6,7,8,9 0r 10)
-now pump 5 words of the word array, starting at word 1, into a list for
each trial (i.e. trial1 = word1-5, trial2= word6-10, etc...)

So summing up, E-Prime CAN do it but not easily.

You will find that all these sorts of 'easy to use' packages in many areas
work fine as long as you want to do what it wants you to do!

Hope this was helpful.

Paul

 Paul R. Jackson
 Experimental Programmer