pause at every 50 trials in a 750-trial task?

Tony Zuccolotto anthony.zuccolotto at pstnet.com
Tue Sep 7 18:12:40 UTC 2004

You should be able to do this without writing any script.

Make a block list that calls a single block procedure.
On the block list set the Weight to the number of blocks you want to run
(i.e. 750 trials / 50 trials per block = 15 blocks)
On the block procedure create a trial list that defines all 750 trials.
On the Reset/Exit tab of the Properties dialog for the trial list, set
the "Exit List" option to "After 50 samples".  Also verify that the
"Reset at the beginning of each Run" check box is cleared and that the
"Reset Sampling (Define Cycle)" criteria is set to "All samples (750)".

On the block procedure (after the trial list) create a text display for
the user that says something like "Now we will take a break..." and set
it's duration to the amount of time you want to have them break.

The key piece of this solution is that when the "Reset at the beginning
of each Run" check box is cleared on a List object in E-Prime it will
NOT reshuffle itself until the "Reset Sampling (Define Cycle)" criteria
is met.  As long as you have that set to the default of "All samples
(750)" then you can re-run the list multiple times and E-Prime will just
pick up the sampling where it last left off.   Thus, this should shuffle
your 750 stimuli once at the beginning, and then present them to the
subject in groups (blocks) of 50 trials, with a break following each
one.

Hope that helps,
Tony

*** DISCLAIMER: ALL VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT NECESSARILY
REFLECT THOSE OF PSYCHOLOGY SOFTWARE TOOLS ***

Anthony P. Zuccolotto
Vice President and Chief Operations Officer
Psychology Software Tools, Inc.
2050 Ardmore Boulevard
Suite 200
Pittsburgh, PA 15221-4610