Strange errors

Eddie Dubourg eddie at ling.ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 16 11:49:50 UTC 2005

I've been sent a script to see if I can help with it's development.

I unpacked it, I edited slightly, and then tried to run it.  I received no
errors during the build phase, but when I come to run it I get a dialog that
says:-

ERROR:  The datafile did not convert!
FILE: experiment-1-1.txt

It is recommended that you recover you data with the E-Recovery utility

and then

The following error occurred while converting the data file:

Error Message:  Error occurred reading text file - unexpected end of file.
Line Number 22
Error Number 10

Line 22 is the line "Option CStrings On" below the comments at the start of
the experiment. Oddly, cutting off the comments in the .ebs file made no
difference, the errors were at line22 again.

I've tried saving it as a new file.  No Joy (6 times)
I've checked the file space is read/write.  No Joy
I've moved it to several different machines.  No Joy
I've checked for differences between this and the headers on another
experiment, couldn't see any, cut and pasted the headers between files.  No
Joy
Copied the entire text to another empty file.  No Joy
Examined the file in a hex editor for a hidden character.

What basic step am I missing?

Eddie Dubourg