response duration, but not with EPrime

Eliot R. Smith esmith4 at indiana.edu
Mon Jan 17 00:00:43 UTC 2005

On Jan 16, 2005, at 5:47 PM, Paul Gr wrote:

> However, beside the licensing strategy, there are also some technical
> issues that require attention. For instance, the current version of
> EPrime uses special drivers to handle response devices. These drivers
> are required for optimal response processing. So, even if there was a
> possibility to create standalone executables, you would still have to
> deploy a proper runtime environment. (And don’t forget DirectX…, which
> is a ‘must have’ for this type of application.)
> Let’s hope PST (and other’s) come up with a customer-friendly solution
> for this problem. If not, then I expect some kind of open source
> project to arise within a year or so.

One excellent solution to this issue would be to create a bootable CD,
perhaps based on
Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.net/) .  That could be configured with the
right drivers, and could
run on any PC without having to mess with installing a new OS or new
drivers onto
the hard disk.  The hypothetical data-collection program could run
under Linux (booted
from that CD) and be configured to save data onto the workstation's
hard disk, or to another
computer over the network, etc.

--Eliot Smith
Dept. of Psychology