Keypress Random Generation Secondary Task

Michael A. Erickson michael.erickson at ucr.edu
Mon Jul 11 19:30:13 UTC 2005

I am interested in using keypress random generation as a secondary
task.  I'm thinking that the Ss would respond to the primary task with
a single keypress using a letter key, and they would be emitting a
sequence of random digits using the keypad at some given rate.

Depending upon the rate, Ss might emit just 1 or 2 digits per
primary-task trial, or they might emit 3 or 4.  I would want to log
the times and responses of both the primary and secondary task, as
well as warning them when their secondary task performance becomes too
slow.

They should be working on the secondary task continuously, so number
inputs should be occurring during primary task trials as well as in the
primary task inter-trial intervals.

Has anyone does anything like this in E-Prime and would be willing to
share code, or does anyone have any advice about approaching this kind
of experiment?

Thanks!

Michael

--
Michael A. Erickson, Assistant Professor
Department of Psychology / University of California / Riverside, CA 92521