E-Prime 2.0 Data Features

Jordan Bigio j-bigio at northwestern.edu
Mon Jul 11 19:44:36 UTC 2005

Hey listserv,
The listserv is screwing up a bit. I keep getting messages from late June
that I have already received. Don't know if someone can look into this,
whoever the administrator is. Just wanted to put the word out, as I'm sure
I'm not the only one getting these backlogged messages.

Jordan

At 09:54 PM 6/29/2005 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello Brandon,
>
>There are a few practical issues about E-DataAid that could be improved:
>
>1) E-DataAid can become very sloooow when using filters. Especially when
>used in combination with the analysis option.
>
>2) When exporting analysis tables to SPSS I always have to rename column
>names. The latest version of SPSS is somewhat improved on the maximum
>allowed variable name, but dashes are just not allowed and filtered out.
>This is especially a problem when numbers are part of the name. (I.e.
>Total.ACC-11-1 will become Total.ACC111)
>
>3) I know a lot of researchers who are using the analysis option to create
>a 'case' based table for SPSS. That is: all relevant data of an experiment
>is collected on one line. The problem is that the content of the table can
>only be based on numerical values, not string values. I know that this is
>required for performing statistical calculations, but this limitation also
>holds if the table is designed in such a way that each cell is derived
>from a single value. Our current workaround is to encode each relevant
>string value with a corresponding numerical value and store this along
>with all other attributes. For example: a typed response character can be
>translated at runtime to a unique numerical value by using inline script.
>Offline translation of such data is also possible by using excel and
>copying and pasting columns.
>
>Let me finish with a compliment: E-Merge and E-DataAid are straightforward
>but powerful utilities, which do exactly what they claim: provide an easy
>mechanism to prepare datasets for further analysis. I also like the
>annotation option, which allows me to track any manual changes in the data.
>
>kind regards,
>Paul Groot
>Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
>

>>From: Brandon Cernicky <brandon_cernicky at yahoo.com>
>>To: eprime at mail.talkbank.org
>>Subject: E-Prime 2.0 Data Features
>>Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:06:05 -0700 (PDT)
>>
>>The last couple weeks had a number of threads in
>>relation to data handling in E-Prime.  The recent
>>E-Prime 2.0 Feature Survey placed its emphasis on many
>>of the design and implementation features and did not
>>focus on any data handling improvements for E-Merge
>>and E-DataAid.
>>
>>Please feel free to discuss any items you would like
>>to see for E-Prime 2.0 in regards to E-Merge and
>>E-DataAid.
>>
>>Improvements to export in general?
>>Improvements to export to Excel?
>>Improvements to export to SPSS?
>>Improvements to export to XML?
>>
>>PST is certainly not going to try to reinvent the
>>stats wheel and understand there are many stats
>>packages available and exporting to them is intended.
>>Are there any areas where E-Merge or E-DataAid could
>>be improved to make it so that bouncing in-between
>>packages would be reduced?
>>

>>-Brandon

>>http://mail.yahoo.com

Jordan D. Bigio, B.A.
Project Coordinator
Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Laboratory
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Northwestern University
2240 N. Campus Dr., Frances Searle Building, Rm. 2-342
Evanston, IL 60208
Phone: 847-491-3647