button box

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 10 09:24:37 UTC 2005

Just a note on accurate response time measurements: DON’T use devices that
are connected by a USB port if millisecond accuracy is required. Although
USB ports support high data throughput rates, they have bad ‘real time’
specs. That is: they cause the same kind of RT-jitter as keyboards do.

For accurate RT measurements you can use any input port that has the status
of lines mapped to one of the IO-registers. This method allows up to 5
buttons to be connected to a standard LPT port; up to 4 buttons on an old
style 15 pin Game ports; and up to 4 on a regular COM port. More info:
http://www.psy.vu.nl/download/menu/

For experiments that require many buttons, RT accuracy is probably not an
issue and you can go along with keyboards or USB enabled keyboard encoders.
Otherwise you might have to use digital IO cards that support many digital
input lines or other dedicated button hardware.

best,
paul