E-Prime 2.0 Data Features

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 29 19:54:48 UTC 2005

Hello Brandon,

There are a few practical issues about E-DataAid that could be improved:

1) E-DataAid can become very sloooow when using filters. Especially when
used in combination with the analysis option.

2) When exporting analysis tables to SPSS I always have to rename column
names. The latest version of SPSS is somewhat improved on the maximum
allowed variable name, but dashes are just not allowed and filtered out.
This is especially a problem when numbers are part of the name. (I.e.
Total.ACC-11-1 will become Total.ACC111)

3) I know a lot of researchers who are using the analysis option to create a
'case' based table for SPSS. That is: all relevant data of an experiment is
collected on one line. The problem is that the content of the table can only
be based on numerical values, not string values. I know that this is
required for performing statistical calculations, but this limitation also
holds if the table is designed in such a way that each cell is derived from
a single value. Our current workaround is to encode each relevant string
value with a corresponding numerical value and store this along with all
other attributes. For example: a typed response character can be translated
at runtime to a unique numerical value by using inline script. Offline
translation of such data is also possible by using excel and copying and
pasting columns.

Let me finish with a compliment: E-Merge and E-DataAid are straightforward
but powerful utilities, which do exactly what they claim: provide an easy
mechanism to prepare datasets for further analysis. I also like the
annotation option, which allows me to track any manual changes in the data.

kind regards,
Paul Groot
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam