using a PCI parallel port with E-prime

Brandon Cernicky brandon_cernicky at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 18:16:04 UTC 2005

Matt, (recently authored this same note in your
support request at PST, but here is a mirror for the
user listing)

Note that most parallel port cards are compatible, but
there are may be a few exceptions. To find out if your
parallel port is compatible:

1) Right Click my computer select properties.
2) Select the Hardware tab
3) Click the Device Manager button
4) You should have all available LPT1, LPT2, etc in
the Ports tree. Double click the LPT you want and go
to the Resources tab. The very first number (although
it will be a range) is the address in HEX (i.e. add
&H0000) that they should use.

If the LPT is not showing up and you see a yellow ?
icon next to "unknown parallel port" anywhere, then it
needs a driver which should have been included on the
CD in the box. Typically parallel ports will not need
a driver under Windows XP or Windows 2000 as they will
use the default driver or most manufactures will have
the driver included in the default installation.

Please note that you are encouraged to use the hex
value of the address. This is because if the value is
higher than 32767 decimal base 10, you may get errors
when you compile/generate. Simply add &H to the front
of the address. For example, on the SIIG CyberParellel
PCI card I use, the port addres is hex E400, so I use
&HE400 in my WritePort calls.
(http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=150)

PST does have plans to implement a Parallel Port
device object in version 2.0 which will allow to
specify "LPT1" and be able to configure the port mode
(standard, ECP, bi-directional, etc). Please keep
posted to the E-Prime Web site and support forum
e-mail list for updates to BETA and formal release of
E-Prime 2.0

-Brandon