e-prime with psychophysiological recordings

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 25 09:55:00 UTC 2005

hi Ilya,

Here at the Free University in Amsterdam we have 4 labs equipped with a mix
of BioPac and Neuroscan (EEG) recorders. We use several stimulus software
packages, but since about two years E-Prime is the major one. As a standard
procedure, we use one or more digital input lines on the BioPac recorder to
sync with the stimulus software. The printer port is used for sending
digital codes from E-Prime; typically at the onsettime of stimulus. We also
use the same printer port for collecting responses from custom made button
boxes. Up to 4 buttons can be used when directly using the input lines of
the printer port. (Note that Windows XP might interfere with the printer
port when using the input and output lines simultaneously. I published a fix
for this in one of my previous postings.)

There are two options if you also would like to record the responses with
biopac: 1) Let E-Prime send response codes as soon as a response is
detected. 2) Connect each button not only to an input line of the printer
port but also to an input line of the BioPac recorder. The first option
might complicate the E-Prime script because E-Prime doesn’t have a build-in
mechanism for sending such codes automatically. Also, there might be some
delay between the actual response and the transmission of the code. The
second option complicates the wiring and reduces the number of available
stimulus codes because you only have a total of 8 input lines available on
the (isolated) BioPac input port. Responses which are collected this way are
‘raw’ and ‘unfiltered’. (I.e. invalid or repeating responses are also
recorded.)

cheers,
Paul