Question about the STROOP test

Esther Davidse EDavidse at chdr.nl
Mon Nov 28 15:17:34 UTC 2005

STROOP test.

At CHDR we use E-prime tests. We are currently interested in the STROOP test. I was able to download two versions of the STROOP test from the e-prime website, the original version, from 1935 (interference test) and a more recent one (version 1.1). The tests are very different. We would be interested to use the original version. However, there are some things we prefer from the new version over the old version.

Maybe you have had these questions before and hopefully somebody will be able to give me some help with the following issues:
1. In the old version people have to tell which colour they see. These colours need to be recorded by measurement assistants. In the new version of the STROOP test, there is an option where subjects have to enter the colour by pressing a number (e.g. 1 for green, 2 for blue and 3 for red). We would like to use this possibility, so the data collection will be automatically.
2. The old version has a base line measurement (i.e. words presented in black characters and figures presented in colour). The new version doesn't.
3. The new version takes approximately 3.5 min. The old version is much shorter.

Our corresponding questions are:
- Have you in the past developed a test in the past where you combine the possibility of entering the data electronically in the old version (1.1)? This means that both baselines are measured and the answers are given electronically by the subjects (by pressing a number for a corresponding colour).
- If not, can we develop a test where the just mentioned practicalities are combined?
- Is it possible to make the test shorter than 3.5 min or has this test been validated for these amount of measurements?
- Do you test for colour blindness before taking the test? If not, is it possible to test colour blindness with the test? In the case that we would do that, we would need numbers of normal results of the STROOP test. Do you have these available?

Sincerly yours,

Esther Davidse

E.D.B. Davidse, MSc
CNS coordinator