multiple procedures, nested lists, and complex stimuli

Brian MacWhinney macw at cmu.edu
Sat Apr 15 02:07:56 UTC 2006

Dear E-Prime,
     I am posting this message for Alberto Pacios of University of La
Laguna, Spain, who is having some trouble posting from his hotmail
account.
        Please feel free to reply either to the list or to
albertopacios at hotmail.com.  Here is Alberto's message:

Hi, everyone:

We're trying to make an experiment in which we present a series of
complex stimuli, and then we ask a series of questions for each one
of them. Then we continue with the next series of complex stimuli,
and again we ask another series of questions. And again, and again…

Each "complex stimuli" is composed of a picture that stays visible
while 2 phrases appear and disappear, one after the other. Also, each
one of those "complex stimuli" has two particular questions
associated to it (which we'll ask when we get through the end of that
"series" of  complex stimuli).

Therefore,  I think it was necessary to give one row of the table to
each "complex stimuli" (Pic - phrase 1 - phrase 2 - question 1 -
question 2), so that the reference connection between the attributes
wouldn't be lost.

In 2.6.6.2 of the User Guide, there is a way to delay the 'TEST' sub-
procedure until after the 'PRESENTATION' sub-procedure has finished
running the list of samples (without losing that connection): You
make one supra-ordinated list object listing two sub-procedures in an
attribute column, and you bracket-reference that attribute name as
the procedure of the list of stimuli. You build the sub-procedures in
the unreferenced E-objects briefcase, and voila, one sub-procedure
runs the list of stimuli, and then the second sub-procedure runs its
own way the same list of stimuli.

But I don't want it to run ALL the list of stimuli. Each cycle
"presentation/test" must cover a SUB-group of the big list of
-"complex"- stimuli.

I have tried a lot of ways to create nested lists to break the big
list of stimuli into various sub-lists, yet I don't happen to find
the exact combination of nested lists and the 2.6.6.2 trick.

Even so, I suppose this may be a common and probably basic need for
most E-Prime users, and maybe you have a simple way to put me on
track with this problem. I would very gladly receive any help..

Thank you a lot.

Alberto Pacios
University of La Laguna, Spain