Laptop replies + new issue #5

Leisha Wharfield leisha at decisionresearch.org
Thu Jan 5 18:33:00 UTC 2006

Hi, Dr. Wright,

For you and for the list, here is a synopsis of the replies I've
received to my laptop queries so far. I've received recommendations for

1. Toshiba Satellite Pros, on which Carol A. Miller actually ran RT
experiments with eprime.

2. Dell Inspiron
    + Dell again, with the caveat to use the AC power rather than the
battery, to avoid timing issues. Thank you, Mr. Bigio.
    + Dell Inspiron, recommended by Kim Lesniewicz. However, her Dell
has a wide screen that stretches text, and we wish to avoid this. Also,
she has found it necessary to reboot her laptop after each run to solve
a freeze-up issue, and I don't wish to ask our experimenters to do this.
    + Lee Hogarth recommends a Dell Latitude D505, saying it has never
failed her. Actually the Dell Latitude D610 meets our present
specifications, but I think I can do better on price.

3. IBM. Highly recommended. I agree with Dr. Sudevan that they are
rugged & reliable, but he has not used them specifically with eprime.

4. General issues. Dr. Crowley reminded me to check the archives for a
discussion of timing issues on laptop computers, including refresh rates
and use of AC power versus battery.

5. A final issue to add: We use input devices that were made for our RT
experiments. They are large switches or buttons, one for each hand, that
can be pushed easily and give a solid clicking sound. They are wired
into a serial device because when we began this series of RT computer
experiments, we were told that the serial port was the cleanest,
quickest way to get to the processor and we are measuring very fine time
differences. Now serial ports are hard to come by on laptops, and when I
read about new laptop connectors I find that the now-standard FireWire
IEEE 1394 is a port that was designed for using a computer in "real
time," that is, to play 3D games or to interact with streaming video.
Wouldn't this now be the best port for measuring very fine time
differences? Or is serial still the best way to go?

I'll post another synopsis of replies received.

Thanks for all your help.

Leisha

--
"Billions and billions."

   And it wasn't written, it appeared spontaneously with a big bang.
   And God said, "Let them eat archaic."
   And God looked on it, and said, "MMMmmmmmm... /sprinkles/!"

   Dennis M. Hammes