find minimum

Colleen Parks cmparks at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 28 18:01:45 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've got an array to which I've assigned a list of random numbers (e.g., Array(0) = random(0,100)).  I need to find which element/array position has the lowest value without sorting the array (position in the array is important for another variable later on).  I've spent a good amount of time searching to figure out what the code is to find the minimum value of a list of variables, but haven't found anything yet.  There is no obvious documentation of a general "find min" and "find max" function outside of the summation object. (Note that a summation object won't help because it will return the minimum of a set of values, but will not, as far as I can tell, indicate which variable (or observation) the minimum value is linked to).  There's got to be a find min/max ability in there somewhere!  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Colleen

Colleen Parks, Ph.D.
Psychology Department