find minimum

Fredrik Ullén Fredrik.Ullen at ki.se
Wed Jun 28 18:18:12 UTC 2006

Hi Colleen,
Why not just write a brief Inline script to loop through the array and find
the smallest value?
How many values do you have?
Best
Fredrik
At 20:01 2006-06-28, Colleen Parks wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've got an array to which I've assigned a list of random numbers (e.g.,
>Array(0) = random(0,100)).  I need to find which element/array position
>has the lowest value without sorting the array (position in the array is
>important for another variable later on).  I've spent a good amount of
>time searching to figure out what the code is to find the minimum value of
>a list of variables, but haven't found anything yet.  There is no obvious
>documentation of a general "find min" and "find max" function outside of
>the summation object. (Note that a summation object won't help because it
>will return the minimum of a set of values, but will not, as far as I can
>tell, indicate which variable (or observation) the minimum value is linked
>to).  There's got to be a find min/max ability in there somewhere!  Can
>anyone point me in the right direction?
>
>Thanks!
>Colleen
>

>---------------------------------------
>Colleen Parks, Ph.D.
>Psychology Department
>University of California
>One Shields Ave.
>Davis, CA 95616
>
><mailto:cmparks at ucdavis.edu>cmparks at ucdavis.edu
>530.754.9439

Fredrik Ullén
Associate Professor
Stockholm Brain Institute
Dept Woman and Child Health
Neuropediatric Research Unit (ALB, Q2:07)
Karolinska Institutet
SE-171 76 Stockholm
Sweden
personal web page www.fredrikullen.com