Eprime Digest - 09/24/06

Brandon Cernicky brandon_cernicky at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 13 20:50:24 UTC 2006

Hi Wendy,

I'll agree that the fidelity for most laptop speakers
is not great.  I have seen laptops that come equipped
with JBL speakers but they are far from stand alone
equivs.

Have you considered using the PanControl and Pan
properties for the SoundOut.  By using PanControl=Yes
and a value of -10000 will present an audio file only
in the left speaker.  A value of 10000 will present in
all right.  A value of 0 the default will present in
both speakers.

Now this does not take into account if the file is
stereo 2-track.  If you want both tracks to be
presented equally, I would mix them into a mono file
first.

-Brandon

> Hi Wendy,
>
> With open-source software like Audacity
> (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) you can mute one
> of the channels of
> your stereo sound files. This way you don't have to
> move the sound at
> the speakers' level - that is, you will have WAV >
files that will output
> only in the left or right channel.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fabrizio
>
> P.S: Laptop speakers are not the best choice for > >
sound quality and
> stereo effect, I suggest you to use good quality >
headphones

> Wendy Davidson escribió:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to figure out how to have sound coming
out of each of the
> two laptop speakers separately.  Ive done this using
8 speakers but
> that was via a separate box plugged into the printer
port.  I was
> hoping that this would be less complicated but I'm a
bit stuck!