Two scenarios

Rachel Mitchell r.l.c.mitchell at reading.ac.uk
Fri Apr 20 10:39:42 UTC 2007

Hello everybody :-)

I have 2 scenarios that I need some help setting up.
I can think of very long winded ways of doing what I need, i.e. by typing in
64x64 lines in the stimuli list, but I suspect there are experts out there
who know that it can be done much more simply.

1) I have 64 happy sentences, 64 sad sentences and 64 neutral sentences.
Trials involve hearing 2 sentences, and judging whether they convey the same
emotion (happy followed by a different happy sentence, sad followed by sad)
or a different emotion (happy then sad, happy then neutral, sad then happy,
sad then neutral, neutral then happy, neutral then sad).
I need to make sure half my trials are same judgements and half different
judgements, without there being an easily detectable pattern, e.g. alternate
same and different all the way through.
In simple terms, how can I achieve this?

2) I have 64 sentences, and each is recorded at 7 different amplitude
levels.
During the whole task I intend to play 70 sentences.
If e.g. sentence 39 is selected by e-prime, then I need to make sure that at
some point during the task, the subject will hear all 7 versions of
sentences 39.
But, importantly, these 7 versions must be scattered randomly throughout the
trials, i.e. they must not follow each other consecutively.

I must confess I don't quite understand nesting, and have a deep-seated
phobia of in-line script!

Hoping you can help

Best wishes
Rachel

Dr Rachel L. C. Mitchell.
Lecturer in Cognitive Psychology, University of Reading.
Senior Honorary Research Fellow, Institute of Psychiatry.
Research Psychologist, Berkshire Healthcare NHS Trust.

Correspondence Address:
School of Psychology and Clinical Language Sciences,
Whiteknights Road
University of Reading
Reading
Berkshire