Dual-Task Experiment

Listserv Administrator listman at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 23 00:23:16 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 15:20:40 -0400 (EDT)
From: listserv <LISTSERV at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 14:16:03 -0500
From: "Mark Chan" <mr.mark.chan at gmail.com>
To: eprime at mail.talkbank.org
Subject: Dual-Task Experiment

Dear E-Primers,

My colleague and I have been working on programming a Dual-Task experiment
on Eprime. Not much luck as of late. I hope some of you may offer some
insight as to how we should go about programming. The task(s) are as
follows:

1. Auditory task.
We will be presenting words randomly (from a wordlist) at a steady pace -
2500msec ISI between each word. The onset of response to these words will be
logged with the Voicekey function within the SRBox. If the participant fails
to respond within 2500msec, the next word will be presented .

2. Visual Task.
Participants will be making their response by hitting the <spacebar>
whenever they see a number appear on the screen. The numbers are presented
randomly by means of an inline. The duration of this visual stimuli is
250ms. Each visual stimuli is separated by a mask that lasts 900msec.

Both tasks will run simultaneously. The auditory task is allowed to reloop
in random order if the wordlist contains insufficient words to run the
duration of the visual task. The experiment will end once the visual task is
completed (approximately 30mins).

I don't think slide objects work as they do not allow the tasks to be run
and logged simultaneously and independently.

Thanks for your help!

Mark