Overflow error message

De Brito, Stephane Stephane.DeBrito at iop.kcl.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 18:31:11 UTC 2007

Dear E-prime experts,

In one of my experiments, I have a counter on the screen that shows to
the participants how many points he has. However, when the counter
reaches 32'000 points or more I get an error message saying that there
is overflow. I found an entry in the list mentioning that this happens
when an integer variable reaches thirty-two thousand or more, but there
was no info as to how to fix this. What can I do to solve this problem?
Any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance. I have copied below
the inline script where the problem occurs - line 3.

Best wishes,

Stephane

' InLine - InLine1 BEGIN

            '''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

            If ImageDisplay1.RESP = ImageDisplay1.CRESP then

            point_fdbk = c.getAttrib ("points")

            total_point = total_point + c.getAttrib ("points") <==where
the problem occurs

elseif ImageDisplay1.RT = 0 Then

                        total_point = total_point

elseif ImageDisplay1.RESP <> Imagedisplay1.CRESP then

            point_fdbk = c.getAttrib ("points")

            total_point = total_point - c.getAttrib ("points")

'elseif ImageDisplay1.RT = 0 Then

'                       total_point = total_point

end if

c.SetAttrib "point_fdbk", point_fdbk

c.SetAttrib "total_point", total_point

If ImageDisplay1.RT = 0 then

            If c.GetAttrib ("punishment") = 0 then

                        omission_counter = 1

                        passiveavoidance_counter = 0 'added between
subject 5 & 6

            else

                        omission_counter = 0

                        passiveavoidance_counter = 0 'added between
subject 5 & 6

            end if

end if

If ImageDisplay1.RT >0 then

            If c.GetAttrib ("punishment") = 1 then

                        passiveavoidance_counter = 1

                        omission_counter = 0 'added between subject 4 &
5

            else

                        passiveavoidance_counter = 0

                        omission_counter = 0 'added between subject 4 &
5

            end if

end if

c.SetAttrib "omission_counter", omission_counter

c.SetAttrib "passiveavoidance_counter", passiveavoidance_counter

Stephane De Brito, PhD student

Institute of Psychiatry

King's College London

Forensic Mental Health Science Department

Box P023

De Crespigny Park

Denmark Hill

London SE5 8AF