Serial Seven task in E-prime

Meer, Nelly-van-der Nelly-van-der.Meer at unilever.com
Tue Aug 21 08:38:26 UTC 2007

Hi there,

As a lay person, I am currently trying to find out how to program the
Serial Seven Task using E-prime and am struggling with that. The serial
seven task goes as follows:

The Serial Sevens task starts with a standard instruction screen
informing the participant to count backwards in sevens from the given
number, as quickly and accurately as possible, using the numeric keypad
to enter each response. Participants are also instructed verbally that
if they are to make a mistake they should carry on subtracting from the
new incorrect number. A random starting number between 800 and 999 is
presented on the computer screen, which is cleared by the entry of the
first response. Each threedigit response is entered via the numeric
keypad with each digit being represented on screen by an asterisk.

Pressing the enter-key signals the end of each response and clears the
three asterisks from the screen. The task is scored for total number of
subtractions and number of errors. In the case of incorrect responses,
subsequent responses are scored as positive if they are correct in
relation to the new number.

Perhaps someone has a ready-to-use script for the task available. If
not, maybe someone could give me hints or tips on how to go ahead.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Nelly van der Meer