triggering TMS machine via serial port (com1)

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 15:59:29 UTC 2007

Hi Bianca,

Could you specify which pins of the COM port are used for triggering... This
is very important because the LPT port functions very different compared to
LPT ports. You could use any of the handshake output lines (like DTR and
RTS), but then you would have to use a different port address instead (3FC).
Address 3F8 is the register which is used for serial communication (Rx/Tx
lines). This can be used, but only when you know what you are doing because
transmission on the Tx line will be a serial bit pattern. The baudrate will
determine the clock speed of this pattern. There is also another thing to
realize before tying up COM ports to anything else: output voltages of COM
port pins can be anywhere between -18 and +18 Volt. Not all hardware is
designed to handle such voltages

On the following web page the RTS and DTR output lines are used for a
different purpose (power supply), but the information might help a bit:
http://www.psy.vu.nl/download/menu/xml/eprime_howto_port_com.xml

best,
Paul